The children at Roberts McCubbin participate in weekly Visual Arts lessons with Katrina Cassidy.
The Visual Arts program at Roberts McCubbin is highly valued and supported. Our Arts program is focused on engaging students in critical and creative thinking. Students’ artwork is displayed and celebrated in the foyer and corridors of the school.
During Visual Arts, students are encouraged to extend their creativity and give everything a go. We want students to feel confident in their abilities and not be afraid to take risks or make mistakes as this is the foundation for rich future learning. We also aim to help students understand that learning is a lifelong process and to model this in the classroom.
The Visual Arts program is based on the Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS), which outlines a practical and theoretical curriculum. The standards in the Arts Domain are organised in two dimensions: “Creating and Making” and “Exploring and Responding” (Art Appreciation and Art History).
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Engage with a wide variety of mediums such as clay, textiles, painting, collage, printmaking and technology.
- Work collaboratively building social and emotional capabilities, establishing healthy relationships.
- Work with a resident artist when we successfully achieve grants.
- Please ensure your child has an art smock with their name on it.
- Cleaning and packing up the Art room is an important part of lessons. To assist students in learning these valuable skills I would appreciate donations of: scrubbing brushes, sponges, old towels and tea towels.
- We would also appreciate donations of tissue boxes and soap.